Digging in the Archives / Library stories from the past

Richardson ASCSA Library - 1902

First few years of the library


The first reference on a “library” of the ASCSA was back in 1881, when the first discussions took place on the establishment of the American School of Classical studies at Athens. Afaas mentioned in the Annual report “the building of the Institution should contain apartments for the Director and his family, and suitable rooms for the meetings, collections, and “library”. …The School was opened by the then Director, Prof. W.W. Goodwin at Athens, on October 2, 1882 “in a roomy and convenient house on Οδός Αμαλίας”, occupied by the Director and his family, “but one large salon is devoted to the exclusive use of the members of the School, as library and reading-room”. “At that time, the library had 400 volumes, exclusive of sets of periodicals. In the opinion of the Director, the library should be largely increased at once. It is hoped that this may be done by contributions from friends of the School, made independently of the annual subscriptions. The Committee will be able from the funds at its disposal to enlarge the library only slowly and gradually.”

Moving to 1884, the number of volumes was raised to 800 (exclusive of periodicals and pamphlets) illustrating the history, geography, antiquities and art of ancient Greece. In addition to the volumes obtained by direct purchase through the authority of the Committee, others were received from individual friends who appreciated the importance of the library to the members of the School and desired its enlargement…


Richardson ASCSA Library - 1902


Browsing through the Fourth Annual report of the School (1884-1885) we

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.